Sunday, June 11, 2006

I blog, therefore I am

It's 8:46 am, in Niger (whatever the official time-zone is called, I'm unaware of it). I'm feeling slightly groggy from this past evenings festivities at John Davidson's home (DCM US Embassy), where Peace Corps Niger held a COS (completion of service) party. The enchiladas were spicy, the beer was cold, and I think I consumed too much of both.

So, I just made this blog and I'm testing it out. I hope you guys like it.

Here are a couple of photos to give you a taste of the goods to come.

This was taken the night before I left Hamdallaye (the village where I had my Peace Corps training) to go to my post. That would be back in March. The man to my left, Sha' ibu, was my host-father in Hamdallaye. I had a little hut in his "yard" where I was living during my Peace Corps training. His wife, Huseina, made me dinner pretty much every night. The dude chillin' out on the far left is Abdu Hamzah, who is the training site manager for Peace Corps Niger. We're sitting underneath a shade hanger across the "street" from his home. The other guys are friends and family of Abdu Hamzah.

And here we've got a street shot from Niamey. I was in a Peace Corps bus traveling around the capital one morning and took a bunch of photos. This is one of them. It's a pretty typical street-side setting.

Alright, so we'll see how this all likes on the new website. There's more to come soon.

Take care everyone,
Matt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, Love your blogs. The words with the pictures make all the difference - it creates a enchanting story about your journey to Niger. Thank you. Pls write more. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, Thanks very much for keeping us more or less up to date with your adventures in middle Africa. We appreciate very much following your activities, seeing the colorful pictures of a people and society about which I have had only National Geographic glimpses, before.

Life in distant (from here) Niger, reminds me very much of my long-ago encounter with Natives of New Guinea, during WWII. Of course we didn't even have cameras to record in black and white the wonders of the people or of the scenery--jungle there, very different from the desert you're in. Jim Kuhn

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

I was looking through blogs last night and I came across yours. In 1993 - 1995 I spent time in Niger and Mali first as a PVC then with the State Department. I was great to see your pictures and notice that not much changes with Stage the swearing in or PVC life in general. I just returned from Mali and it never really changes. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cheers...