
It's not turkey, but it did the trick. It was guinea fowl for me this Thanksgiving here in Maradi, Niger. I had a great pot-luck affair with 25-or-so fellow Peace Corps volunteers at the PC hostel here in Niger's 2nd largest city. We're putting back the calories as we prepare for our AIDS bike ride that gets under way tomorrow morning. We've got 31 km to travel before the day's end... I'll let you know how the event went next chance I get.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
to everyone back home (and abroad),
Matt

4 comments:
Hi Matthew,
What a beautiful bird! I hope you paid tribute to its life before you ate it.
Wait a minute - I didn't do that for the turkey I gobbled down at Jim & Patti's. Guess it's my distance from the food source that made me so thoughtless.
I'm eager to hear about the bike ride. Did it coincide with World AIDS Day?
Love,
Mom
I always found guinea fowl to be most wonderfully satisfying. Aside from tasting good, it also meant one less of them in the world to wake me up at all hours.
I hope the AIDS ride went well. I enjoyed the one I rode, despite the long days. Lots of time to really get to know other PCVs as you pass the kilometers.
Thanks for writing, I enjoy keeping up with the volunteer life.
Krissa Nichols
RPCV Niger 2001-2003
Sounds like you had a great thanksgiving. I hope everything is going well, and hope to hear from you soon.
-Amanda (your cousin)
Life is relative I guess. The bird is secondary to what we are thankful for. To be surrounded by family and friends is a good thing. We thought of you from Belfast. Happy Holidays.
PS did you get to do the plucking?
Post a Comment