Hey everyone,
Long time no blog, eh? I've spent the last 2 months avoiding responsibility (for the most part) and enjoying my friends in Niger. I was back in Konni - where I've been living the past year-and-a-half. To break it down, Konni is the nearest city to my village and it's also where our regional Peace Corps hostel is. Rawfi, my village, is about 20 km-or-so away from Konni (and amazingly enough it takes over an hour to get there from my village via the market car). I know I've stated this before, but I thought I'd say it again for clarity's sake.
Yup, so I was back in Konni trying to get back to work and also sweating out the last gasp of hot-season. Not too eventful. I think the period highlight was our perennial summer solstice party in which we constructed a 40-foot-long slip-n-slide complete with pool at the end. It was my brainchild - and nothing short of awesomeness. Of course the plastic was placed on top of a combined padding unit of mattresses and grass mats. Top-speed head first dives in the manner of Jose Reyes (you old-timers need to check this kid out). We even had a ramp that launched us into the pool. For the most parts the injuries consisted of scrapes and bruises. Well worth it.
And after the plastic was ripped to shreds from overuse we proceeded to turn the pool into a mud wrestling pit. It's the longest day of the year you've got to go for it, ya know? Well, we found out that this one girl from my cluster in Konni named Claudia is an absolute beast. And we also learned that former military guys take backyard BBQ mud wrestling seriously. I was made aware of the latter when Crazy Matt (a former Army guy) put me in a completely unexpected larynx asphyxiating tap-out choke-hold. But as fate would have it we soon learned of the force that is Claudia when she dominated Crazy Matt in the mud pit and inadvertently (perhaps) took both he and his shorts down. This lead to a mud-brown white man quite literally streaking for cover.
Surely there's a picture of it (the slip-n-slide) somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open and try to post it.
Mmm hmm. I'm a doctor! No not really, but sort of. No that's not true either. But I am currently the newest member of the staff at the Konni hospital. Some of you are aware that I'm interested in a career in medicine... blindly searching for something to do with my life is probably more accurate. Experience! Why not try it out and see if I enjoy it, right? So, I've spent three days there shadowing one of the nurses at the adult clinic and my oh my I have seen some things. Patient confidentiality doesn't really exist here, and that's glaringly obvious when I (the foreigner with absolutely no medical training or credentials) am present for the consultations. Malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis, hernia, HIV, something resembling elephantitis of the testicle (I kid you not, it was actually a case of hydrocele), attempted suicide, and an insane guy in need of a shot of sedative. Yeah. This is not your average American health clinic. So, that's been an interesting new assignment for me and I'm looking forward to continue volunteering there for next 6 months. After I get to see the inner workings of the hospital (and I use hospital very loosely because there's only one surgeon present for the entire hospital - such is medical care in a small city in Niger) I'll likely find some way to lend a hand.
PHOTOS!
The locals call them wild camels. I don't get it.
Pre-game dance session in the Nigeria section.
Niger draws even (1-1) in the second half!
A Rawfi lady pulling water with her child on her back.
HOPE EVERYONE'S DOING WELL AND ENJOYING THE SUMMER. Send me an e-mail (matthewtgraf@yahoo.com) some time.
Matt

No comments:
Post a Comment