Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Back in the desert

Well, that was probably the craziest trip I've ever been on. Let's recap: Niamey to Paris to Barcelona to Seville to Cadiz to Barcelona to Paris to Burlington to Paris to Casablanca to Niamey (in 32 days). My head's still kind of twirling from the experience, but I'm really happy to be back in Niger. As hard as it is to live here I wouldn't be anywhere else.

Vermont... difficult to return under the circumstances. But the silver lining was seeing all you guys. Lots of love.

Matt

P.S. A few photos from the trip.


How could you possibly not stay at this hotel?




The cathedral in Seville.


There's this beautiful old palace in Seville called the Alcazar. This shot was taken in the basement bath. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcazar_of_Seville





A Catalan town in France near the border with Spain (on the Mediterranean side). A train connection dropped me here for a few hours, so I wandered around for a bit and found a bar. It was beautiful, and if I ever find myself back in that part of the world I'll be returning.

Alright. Vacation's been cool, but I'm off to work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew,

Glad you are back home in Niger where you want to be. May your second year of duty with the Peace Corps be a fruitful one.

It's good that you were able to get back to Vermont to honor your friend Chris.

Love,
Mom

Radiant said...

..... my deepest condolences .....

Renee